How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22894
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On the matter of an "earmarked" superannuation fund in UK,

Customer Question

On the matter of an "earmarked" superannuation fund in UK, does this have to go through the English courts for payment to be made?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The problem is that the New Zealand Family Court does not have the power to make orders about overseas property.In circumstances where you need to get court orders to release the funds, if your ex spouse cooperates, these applications can be dealt with as a consent application which would be considerably cheaper than a contested application. If she is going to benefit from a payment from the fund then she has every reason to cooperate to sign a consent application. But there will still be some cost if you use a lawyer in the UK. Like New Zealand, the use of a lawyer is not compulsory in the family Court, and it may be possible to do this yourself.

Related New Zealand Law Questions