Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have entered into an agreement to sell my property

Customer Question

I have entered into an agreement to sell my property conditional on a building report
the buyers expert found two very minor maintenance issues which could be fixed in a couple of hours by a tradesman...they were advised by their expert that at a later date the fascia board might need painting and have decided to walk away using the conditional building clause as an out ....are they permitted to do this?...or is it just for major defects?
thanks
Dennis
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You are correct that this type of clause should be used for major problems. Without reading your clause, I cannot be definite but the standard clauses used usually are there for significant defects and not minor problems. If the contract was unconditional in all other respects, then you may be able to contest this.