How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The trustees of my mother's family trust sent us a

Customer Question

The trustees of my mother's family trust sent us a confirmation of deposit letter last week. Acting on that we made an offer on a home and secured a mortgage. The house sale become unconditional in 6 working days. Now the trustees want to renege on giving us the deposit. Can they legally do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If there was an unconditional offer to provide this deposit, then you could sue them for specific performance of the contract. I suggest you start by telling them you will do so and then if they persist you may need to actually sue them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply Chris. Yes the confirmation of deposit was unconditional. So we do have grounds to suse if they renege?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

From what you have told me, yes. If they promised to pay that is a binding contract

Related New Zealand Law Questions