Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am looking help regarding an outstanding debt I have with

Customer Question

Hi Chris! I am looking for some help regarding an outstanding debt I have with Baycorp NZ. I currently live overseas, am a NZ resident tho. I want to go back for Christmas and am now wondering if I may be detained at the airport? The total debt is about 5K I believe ... is that a risk? Or what would be my best approach? Contact Baycorp? Thanks, Nicki
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

They cannot arrest you or stop you at the airport. This can only be done for traffic or criminal fines, so you have nothing to worry about.Your claim will be what is called a civil debt as opposed to a criminal or traffic fine. For the purpose of this I assume that this is just an unpaid debt, which they are chasing you for. A fine for a speeding ticket is a traffic fine, and there is power under the traffic law to obtain a warrant for arrest for unpaid fines. Civil debts cannot be collected like this. If you are in a position to settle with Bay Corp it may be a good idea in the long run, especially if you intend coming back here as it will affect your credit record has nothing to do with your ability to enter and leave New Zealand