How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22828
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We undertook a renovation of a woodshed and were given

Customer Question

We undertook a renovation of a woodshed and were given estimate .
The builder went over 200% over the cost.
Even considering changes to the build along the way.
He also stockpiled subtrades bills for months when we wanted to be billed directly
He sent us a final materials bill 8 months later because he left the job and we had to employ others to complete.
We were naive to this al, never done this before.
He said it would take 3 to 5 months it took 14.
We do not want to give him any more money this has been a financial burden
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you were given an estimate of the construction, then it is well-established law that the estimate should not be exceeded by 10%. This builder has therefore gone well over what is regarded as reasonable. If you did ask them to do extra work, then this of course should be charged as a variation and approved by you. Sometimes builders will add a surcharge to the sub trades and bill this to you, but if you asked for the sub trades to be billed direct, then he should not have done this. The delay would have meant considerable cost if this was working wool shed, and you are entitled to damages for any of the disruption. You have good remedies under the Construction Contracts Act, and what you need to look at his last bill and ask if this is a construction claim. It should state that it is a construction claim on the document. Within 20 days of receiving that claim you must respond with a schedule which explains why you refuse to pay the items, and list the extra costs. You can then get a construction adjudicator to look at his claim and your counterclaims and make a binding decision. This is a reasonably quick process. I can recommend construction adjudicators if you want one

Related New Zealand Law Questions