How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22972
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have sweared at my flatmate who left owing me 2 weeks rent

Customer Question

hi sir
I have sweared at my flatmate who left owing me 2 weeks rent ,I tried to contact by text msg politely since 2 months but he blocked me , so when I text him i will tell your friends in face book about you cheating for this money - then i got his msg saying I will pay in 3 days ,again 1 week passed I msg him again politely were is my money but he does not reply ,I can see he is online but not responding ,when my wife msg him about money and what we will do to get money from him - he msg back to my wife saying act like a mature lady and I will give your money in 1 day ,but again weeks passed he did not give or respond to my msg
and then I msg him that I will tell your friends about you cheating me for money owing to me
he does accept that he owes me money by text msg but will not reply when I asked politely for couple of times
after 2 moths passed I lost hope I swered him by phone 3 msg as 1*bastard and 2* did your father did not teach about being mature 3*I hate your life
now iam in contact nor msging him
now he replies that I got your wife and my text msgsges and will go to court for harassing me with phone msg evidence.
its easy for him as he is on govt benefit and not doing any job since 4 months ,he will get legal aid to fight
since 35 years I got no convictions or lagal issues on my name
will this case be a civil or criminal harassment case on me ?and I only sweread ,did not post anything online bad about him, I do got evidence from him msg me that we are good owners couple of times but when I ask politely my money he does not reply
please advice what should I do, will it be a crime case
thanking you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

He cannot make any claim against you for harassment as a crime or a civil action. Perhaps you shouldnt have swore at him, but thats not very serious and he must pay you. You could bring a claim in the Disputes Tribunal to make him pay, and you are safe from any prosecution as you have not committed any crime. So he is just making threats which are not worth anything. Harassment is much more serious threats and you have not done anything except ask him to pay money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much sir
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help.