How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22816
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to dispute an invoice that I have received services -

Customer Question

I wish to dispute an invoice that I have received for legal services - associated with conveyancing. I engaged a new solicitor, on the basis of a written fee estimate of around $1,400. This solicitor is now seeking to charge me $3,070 for conveyancing relating to the purchase of a single property. I have acknowledged that I asked for a couple of additional things to be attended to, and agreed to pay for up to 2 additional hours for this work, (at $280 per hour). The solicitor did not take any steps to advise me of any additional work that would necessitate an increase above the estimate previously provided until after all of the work was completed. I think that this is entirely unsatisfactory and want to know how I can effectively contest his invoice - and not incur the 1.5% interest per month that will start after 7 days.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can ask the Law Society to look at the account, and they will appoint a Costs Revisor to examine the account and the terms. They will do this without charge and fairly quickly. So you can contact them at and you can start by a telphone call and then move to a formal complaint. This will enable you to challenge the bill and the basis on which they have increased the quote, and is a free service for you.

Related New Zealand Law Questions