How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22887
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the stepfather my partners ex partner whent to work in

Customer Question

I am the stepfather my partners ex partner whent to work in Australia for a couple of months without paying any child support for his 12yr old son. He is now back in NZ and is employed. I notified ird child support twoweeks before he got back to nz and recieved a one off payment on the 19th of October for $16.80? Am i entilted to more than this?? My Partner and i earn a modest living, we also have a 5 year old girl together. ps we normally have shared care , one week with our boy and one week he spends with his father.
I look forward to oyur answer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Child support is based on a formula assessment of his income. If he isn't earning much this may be correct but you certainly can query this withIRD. If he was working in Australia he is still liable for payments while he is there so you should query this as well.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

But when you have shared care the income of each of you is offset against the other, and this may be correct if there are two incomes to balance against each other

Related New Zealand Law Questions