How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22811
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a relationship with a man past 10 years do I

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship with a man for the past 10 years do I haev any rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You will have a claim to half share of all relationship property, which means any home which is in your partners name, half of the contents, half the value of any cars, and a half share in any KiwiSaver. This can be complicated when there are family trusts in place so feel free to ask more specific matters. The test for claiming a half share is that you need to have been together for more than three years, so you easily qualify

Related New Zealand Law Questions