How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22812
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenancy agreement with the landlord. there is

Customer Question

I have a tenancy agreement with the landlord. there is another person living who is not a tenant he is a flatmate. i have given him 2 weeks notice but he is refusing to move out and is not paying rent as well. how can I legally kick him out once his notice period is finished?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Flatmates don't have the same rights as a tenant,most if you have given him two weeks notice, and he won't leave, then you can do a number of things. Once the notice has expired, then you can tell him you will move his things outside the flat and change the locks. You could also give him a trespass notice and tell him if he doesn't respect this you will ask the police to enforce this.

Related New Zealand Law Questions