How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22887
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking on how to get dual citizenship if I marry an

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to get dual citizenship if I marry an American citizen? I own my property in NZ and will I be able to buy property in NZ after marrying to an US citizen and get my loans approved in NZ after moving to US?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a NZ Citizen and going to get marry in Dec 2015 with USA Citizen and planning to move to US with him. How can I get US citizenship after that. I mean I need to know all the ways to apply for US citizenship.I own my property in NZ and want to retain my NZ citizenship along with US Citizenship once I get. I am paying mortgages for my house so how will this affect my mortgages?
Also how is it going to affect buying further property in NZ if I want to?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The US citizenship will not affect your ownership of your house and the mortgage. It doesn't matter what country you are a citizen of, to own a residential property and get mortgages. There are no restrictions on you. So you can still buy other property if you get US citizenship. Once you marry, you can apply under the usual procedure. But it's not important, unless you actually want to become a citizen for other reasons, although you will need to get permanent residency to stay and work there.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Foreign citizens who want to live permanently in the United States must first obtain an immigrant visa. This is the first step to becoming a lawful permanent resident.

Immigrating to the United States is an important and complex decision. In this section, you will learn about who may immigrate to the United States, the different types of immigrant visas, the required forms, and the steps in the immigrant visa process. Because most immigrants receive visas in the family or employment based visa categories, they are a key focus of this section. To be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative, U.S. lawful permanent resident, or a prospective employer, with a few exceptions, explained below. The sponsor begins the immigration process by filing a petition on the foreign citizen’s behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

A U.S. citizen can file an immigrant visa petition for:

  • Spouse
  • Son or daughter
  • Parent
  • Brother or sister
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

To begin the immigration process, your sponsoring family member must file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

So the first step is to get this form from the US consulate in Auckland and then get the first stage of the permit. Once you have been there for long enough you can then move to applying for citizenship

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working in Auckland and want to marry in Dec 2015 and go to US as a visitor for few weeks and see the job opportunities there. Then come back and join my job in Auckland again for few weeks until I settle the things in Auckland with my mortgages etc. So maximum how long can I stay in US on a visitor visa?To apply for visitor visa do I have to mention that I am married? and if I do mention will it affect my husband and his kids in US?I am planning to go to US as a visitor first along with my 19 yrs old daughter so how to apply for the visitor visa first? We both are NZ Citizen.
Can we apply for the US permanent residency being in US? and where will it be easy to apply?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can travel to the US visa free at first under the ESTA program. You can start the application process for a partnership visa once you are married, either in New Zealand or over there. The ESTA is here

Related New Zealand Law Questions