Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a completed Auckland District law society inc - REF

Customer Question

Hi I have a completed Auckland District law society inc - REF 4992WFP form signed and witnessed in march 2010 making myself enduring POA for my father. I am trying to get the ASB to recognise it. Their procedures don't seem to cover it, and they asked for a donor witness form? I have asked them to check with their legal department but so far no luck. It's been nearly 3 weeks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The power of attorney must have the signatures witness by a solicitor or legal executive. The donor and the proposed attorney must each have independent advice. If you have done this, then the power of attorney is not valid. These are essential steps and you are best seeing a lwyer to get this done correctly and witnessed as required by the legislation.