How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22968
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seperate from from my wife She is a NZ citizen, I am

Customer Question

I am seperate from from my wife
She is a NZ citizen , I am dual citizen NZ and Germany
She is living in NZ I have two residences one in NZ one in Germany
In NZ the legal requirement for a no fault divorce is 2 years separation
I have now learned that there are many countries such as Haiti where you do not have the same requirement for divorce but I am unsure of the divorce will be acknowledged in NZ
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Under the Family Proceedings Act the foreign divorce will generally be recognised in New Zealand. Most wait the two years here however because it is fairly cheap and not bureaucratic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that a divorce from Germany as recognised
But I was in particular interested in wether a divorce from a country line Haiti or Guam would be
The reason for this is that I want to shorten the two years so to move on quicker
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The Family Proceedings Act does make a foreign divorce valid from a court in another country so you could certainly use those countries.