Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Two questions I'm travelling to Australia in the 17th of

Customer Question

Hi two questions I'm travelling to Australia in the 17th of November for a week and I've been there many times in the past 20 years. Lately there is a lot of media on Australia not allowing people in their with past convictions. In 1987 I had a drink driving
offence where I lost my licence for 6 months I have never been stopped before and I am worried that they are righting the rules Will I be able to travel as I've bought my tickets a Also how would I apply for a clean slate in New Zealand as that was 28 year
ago
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to apply for the Criminal Records Clean Slate Act to apply, and it applies automatically to all relevant convictions, like yours, after 7 years. You can now say you have a clean record and you won't have a problem with Australian Immigration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I need to apply online or what would I mark on the onboard prior to landing re conviction
I've been over virtually every year without incident
There's just a lot of hype on the radio at the moment
Thanks

You can say you have nothing, because the Act says you are allowed to do so. In any event, this conviction would not stop you anyway