Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Last Friday I was in a local bar with my friend. All of a

Customer Question

Hello Chris, Last Friday I was in a local bar with my friend. All of a sudden, a woman, who is known to me came up behind me and pulled me to the ground by the hair bashing my head off a solid timber floor. I tried to defend myself as best as i could. Bar staff intervened and police were called. I was treated by a GP the next day. What can I do here?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is she being charged with assault? If she isn't you can ask the Police why. Have you given a statement yet to the Police? What do you want to happen to her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Do I need to go to the police to find out this?I have not given a statement yet. I would like her to realize that attacking someone so viciously has to have consequences regardless of motive or high consumption of alcohol. Earlier in the night she kicked me really hard in the shin bone with her high heel shoe. I think she was trying to start a fight but I am not the fighting type so walked away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Later on she caught me completely unawares by attacking from behind. I did not have much chance to defend myself

You will need to follow up and visit the local police and make a complaint as usually they would have taken a statement on the night. This will mean she gets charged with assault and faces the consequences. You will be able to give a victim impact statement and sometimes this means she may have to pay some compensation. An offence like this is likely to be almost jail however, especially if she has a record