How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22831
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last Friday I was in a local bar with my friend. All of a

Customer Question

Hello Chris, Last Friday I was in a local bar with my friend. All of a sudden, a woman, who is known to me came up behind me and pulled me to the ground by the hair bashing my head off a solid timber floor. I tried to defend myself as best as i could. Bar staff intervened and police were called. I was treated by a GP the next day. What can I do here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is she being charged with assault? If she isn't you can ask the Police why. Have you given a statement yet to the Police? What do you want to happen to her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Do I need to go to the police to find out this?I have not given a statement yet. I would like her to realize that attacking someone so viciously has to have consequences regardless of motive or high consumption of alcohol. Earlier in the night she kicked me really hard in the shin bone with her high heel shoe. I think she was trying to start a fight but I am not the fighting type so walked away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Later on she caught me completely unawares by attacking from behind. I did not have much chance to defend myself
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You will need to follow up and visit the local police and make a complaint as usually they would have taken a statement on the night. This will mean she gets charged with assault and faces the consequences. You will be able to give a victim impact statement and sometimes this means she may have to pay some compensation. An offence like this is likely to be almost jail however, especially if she has a record

Related New Zealand Law Questions