How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22813
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Copyright law: I am setting up a web store selling cloth

Customer Question

Copyright law:
Hello. I am setting up a web store selling cloth nappies imported from China. I am mostly buying direct from manufacturer (JC Trade/ AnAn Diapers & Pujiang Longxiang Industry & Trading Co) and some through Alibaba.
Some of the cutest, potentially popular prints feature Disney & other cartoons (eg Minions) that may be covered by copyright & licensing laws...? What are the rules?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You will need to be careful about the use of any images from companies such as Disney. They are generally vigilant about copyright and the licensing issues, and you need to ensure that the manufacturer has an appropriate license from any company who owns any of these images. If you do not have a license, then they can prevent you from selling the goods, intervene with Customs when they are imported, and even get the goods destroyed if there is no license. So you need to ensure that the company who sells them to you has the licences where ever any such images are used. You are also likely to need licences to sell using the images in New Zealand. These can be negotiated of course. You would need to contact their local representatives and negotiate appropriate fees.

Related New Zealand Law Questions