How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22887
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a documentary that has been made about a relative

Customer Question

there is a documentary that has been made about a relative of ours possible criminal offending 30 years ago. After watching the trailer adds for the doco we have seen that footage of our private land and belongings and footage of family members that had nothing to do with this case are being used. Do we have rights.
Jed Cornelius ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is not something which can be covered by The Privacy Commissioner. They do not have jurisdiction over the news media, but the place to complain about this is as follows:-

For complaints about newspaper reporting, the agency to contact is the New Zealand Press Council ( by calling (04)(###) ###-####

For complaints about television or radio reporting, the agency to contact is the Broadcasting Standards Authority ( by calling 0800 366 996.

In addition, where the news footage is not relevant to the story and is unnecessarily intrusive, this can be considered a breach of privacy under the tort of privacy. That would require a court case unfortunately. I suggest that you start by contacting the people who made the documentary and seeking removal of the personal information, and if they refuse, then try the Broadcasting Standards Authority.

Related New Zealand Law Questions