New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

My partner and I having been in a relationship since January

Customer Question
Hi there My partner and I...
Hi there
My partner and I having been in a relationship since January 2009. We only moved in together in October 2013 with my 5 children from a previous marriage. We talked about marriage and buying a home for us to raise the kids and grow his business..was heart broken when he decided to purchase a property on his own leaving me to make a decision to move with him or not. Because of my love for him he persuaded me to move with him and we would do it together. We now have a 7month old baby and he has told me he no longer loves me and has asked me to move out. I am devasted as I have helped him improve what I thought was out home and increased the value of stock on the farm. I have put so much heart and sweat into raising the kids, trying to make our relationship stronger and making sure. My career I have put on hold to raise baby and I don't know what to do. I have no money to move or do anything. Could you please advise on whether or not I have a case to present in a family court please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
If u need any additional information please let me know. I look forward to your replyKindest regards
Sesika
8/29/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

The first tho g I would ask is if you have had any relationship counselling. You can find this from contacting the family court counselling coordinator or your doctor. If that is not going to help, then you don't have to leave u til you are ready, and he cannot force you to do so. If he used physical force to try, then you could apply to an occupation order and a protection order from the family court. If you have no money or income, you will qualify for legal aid, and your family lawyer will help you apply for this. You may have a claim for relationship property and your lawyer can help place a notice on the title and then help you get paid out. You can apply for child support though Inland Revenue And a benefit from WINZ. These should provide income for you and the child. I can suggest lawyers and the place to apply for these things if you need.

Thank you. That was very straight forward and clear cut. We did do relationship councilling but I found it wasn't working as he did not do the things we learned in councilling and even though I tried hard to make it work he was still not trying to change.
I turned to my reverend to ask for help. Which he saw the both of us. But my partner still didn't try to make a difference even though I had tried to love him in his "love language". He has already told me to leave his house or he would have me physically removed. I have not had time to plan my next move as I am so devastated and trying to deal with what is happening. I have money as he refused to share any income made from the farm or open a joint bank account. How do I apply for legal aid and occupancy order? I will await your advice. I really appreciate your time as I have no one to talk to and so confused.Regards
S

You will need to see a lawyer who will help you with the legal aid and get an occupancy order if you need one, and qualify. If your partner tries to physically remove you then you could apply foroccupancy as that would then become domestic violence. What city are you in? I can suggest some lawyers close by who take legal aid cases.

Thank you for lettinge know. I am in west Auckland and would really need a family lawyer you can recommend that I talk to and how I can contact them. I look forward to hearing from you again thank you for being on here.

Alex Ashmore - Barrister

(09)(###) ###-####/p>

Auckland

Anna Norcross

Corban Revell

(09)(###) ###-####/p>

Auckland

Barry Hayes

Barry Hayes Barrister

(09)(###) ###-####/p>

Auckland

These should be able to help

Do you recommend I stay where I am and not move out ?

Yes, until you have a safe place to go to. If you dont feel safe however you may need to leave

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer