Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have separated from my husband due to m cheating on me we

Customer Question

I have separated from my husband due to him cheating on me we do not have children together what do I need to do?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You need to divide your property. If you have been together for more than three years your property will need to be divided equally. If you cannot agree on this you will need to instruct your lawyer to help negotiate a settlement or make an application to the family Court. Since there are no children, the only other issue will be when you apply to have the marriage dissolved. That is a fairly simple process because you just need to note the actual day you separated, and count two years from then, and you can then apply to the family Court for the marriage to be dissolved.