How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22813
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad is making me sole heir in s will. When i inherit

Customer Question

My dad is making me sole heir in his will. When i inherit everything which is house and land. How do i put everything into a family trust so no one can ever sell assets. Also my dad has dead siblings which land is still under dead siblings name. Can i legally suceed as my dads sole heir as these siblings had no issue to inherit and add to family trust?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The first thing will be to put the land in your fathers name alone, as this will be much easier to do while he is still alive. You can set up a family trust in anticipation, and when you inherit the land, you can pass this to the trust. You should consult a lawyer about the succession to the land as this may need an application for Letters of Administration, and then for help drafting the deed of trust. Both of these are best done by a lawyer as there is a lot of skilled legal drafting to do these correctly.

Related New Zealand Law Questions