How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22812
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have broken up with my partner,I no longer live with m and

Customer Question

I have broken up with my partner,I no longer live with him and haven't done for a year.he still lives on the property but hasn't been paying the mortgage. I just want to count my losses and get my name off the mortgage. How do I go about that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

To do so you will need to get him to refinance or to sell the property. The bank will want to hold on to the parties who signed the mortgage and try to make them pay. So if he won't do anything you may need to go to the Family Court and force him to sell the property so this does not fall back on you. If he doesn't cooperate you can force a sale which will get rid of the issue, although if the mortgage is not fully repaid then you will need to negotiate with the bank. As you are shown as a co owner you are equally liable for the mortgage until the property is sold.

Related New Zealand Law Questions