Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am an new zealander citizen, i am a gay male hoping to get

Customer Question

hi Chris, i am an new zealander citizen, i am a gay male hoping to get marry to my colombia boyfriend,ones we are marry can my partner get NZ citizenship or do we have to wait for 2 years, at the moment we are living in australia can we stall living in aussie or move back to NZ thank you mike..
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Under New Zealand law, you need to have been in a relationship for at least 12 months before you apply for the partnership visa. So once you have been together that long he can apply and then move to New Zealand based on you being a NZ citizen and the 12 months together.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Chris, my partner said current under my 461 visa for pass five years,can he stall stay in austalia ones we are marry, thank you mike..

If you have been together more than five years then he can apply for New Zealand, but you would need to ask an Australian lawyer about the effect on Australia. He could not apply for residency in New Zealand but stay in Australia.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how can we apply for NZ citizen ones we are marry in NZ thank you mike.

You have to be resident in New Zealand for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship.