How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just wondering if you can give me some advice. My son

Customer Question

Hi I was just wondering if you can give me some advice. My son was caught DIC yesterday but what I can gather he was not over the limit by much. He is not allowed to drive for 12 hours. Anyway he has to go to court on the 28 August. He is doing his nursing degree (and yes he knows he done extremely wrong, but has to face the penalty). Just wondering what he is likely to get and is there a change he will be able to get a work licence as he will be doing his clinical practice and will need to get there as we will be living a fare way to where he has to be. Will it be better for us to hire him a lawyer. This is his first offense. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

It would be useful to get a lawyer because in some cases it is possible to get either diversion or a discharge without conviction if you can show exceptional circumstances. Typically for a lower reading he would get a fine somewhere around $500 to $800 plus court costs and be disqualified from driving for six months. He has a one month stand down before he can apply for a work licence, and it would be a good idea to use a lawyer for the work licence. You will have to show hardship to get the work licence, but an experienced of drink-driving lawyer will be able to help with that.