How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person wants to rent a couple of bays to store s welding

Customer Question

Hi A person wants to rent a couple of bays to store his welding equipment at our property.
I have offered him a standard storage agreement form. he said that the agreement doesnt apply to him. i think he wants to cut steel on site. I have told him that he cant operate a workshop from our property as we don't have resource consent for this. but he can rent the space.. Also i dont want him to sub lease the space or to have clients come to the property or a sign at the gate. We would need to provide a safe place for him to store his gas away from the buildings. What sort of form do I need him to fill out? can i buy one on line? Where do i find the link? or do i need a lawyer to draw it up?
Also he would be responsible for his own insurance.
Also can I buy an agreement to lease land online?
Regards Nicky
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

You are correct in wanting to use a standard storage agreement. You should ensure that this has a clause which says that if he does not pay the storage costs, then you can sell his goods stored to pay for any outstanding storage. I agree you need to be careful about resource consent because if he wants to rent space to do work or see clients then this would have a definite impact on the use of the property, which could fall back on to you. In addition a sublease of the property would make it harder to get rid of

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

him if he was breaching the terms. If he was just storing his property and defaulted, then you would be able to have better control over the situation. As for the storage agreement and may be useful to get your lawyer to look over your standard agreement to ensure that you have something about safety concerns for the gas cylinders, and restricting this to storage only. If you need to see your lawyer then you can also ask about an agreement to lease land. These documents are not generally available for free online. The Auckland District Law Society does sell some forms and you can see that link here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you i cant read all of your tx so can you call me later? i am abt to met a friend for a coffee i will be home around 5 ish my number is *****
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Phone calls are extra

Related New Zealand Law Questions