How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22810
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son and s 19 year old girlfriend are

Customer Question

My 17 year old son and his 19 year old girlfriend are pregnant. He is living with her and her parents as they have allowed it. My son will turn 18 just before or just after the baby is due to be born. What rights do I have as custodian of my 17 year old son in getting legal documents drawn up to protect my son against future custody battles, defacto relationship property (ie: my son has a car, savings and his work tools as he is an apprentice builder - these add up to over $15,000 at present date), setting up private child support agreements in the most likely case they don't stay together? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

At age 17 he has the ability to sign appropriate parenting agreements and property agreements on his own behalf. He can also sign any private child-support agreement which is necessary. Generally these matters are decided after the couple have split. But if he wants to prepare a contracting out agreement to protect his assets, then it is possible to sign an agreement under the Property Relationships Act although each party would need their own lawyer. At age 18 he has full legal capacity for virtually all purposes, so when the child is born he will have all the rights of an adult. It would be difficult for you as the parent of a 17 year old to get documents which would bind him and his partner. He is of an age where he needs to decide those terms himself for them to be binding.

Related New Zealand Law Questions