How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23067
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with drink driving on Friday night 573mg I am

Customer Question

My name is John
I was charged with drink driving on Friday night 573mg
I am concerned about loosing my job as I need my licence for work.
I have been in a bad satte recently but not sought help for depression
Dealing with EQC for 5 years with no end in site, made redundant last year my daughter tried to commit suicide earllier in teh year, my wife and I separated in March after 25 years I hav ebeen thinking about taking my life in recent weeks
I had just though I would plead guilty. The officer mentioned diversion but form what I have read you cant get diversion on this type of charge
Any advice would be appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have also moved out of the family home and living in the shed in the back yard in the caravam It hurts to know that my wife is seeing someione else so I know when she comes and goes which adds to the stress and depression but I cant moved on until the house is fixed by EQC and we can sell it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am due to appear in court on the 10 August at 13:30
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

There are two matters where you need help and the most important is the depression. You should contact some professional help for that, either though your GP or though one of these sources

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
Youth services: (06) 3555 906
Youthline: 0800 376 633
Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (4pm to 6pm weekdays)
Whatsup: 0800(###) ###-####(1pm to 11pm)
The Word
Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
Rainbow Youth: (09)(###) ###-####br />• CASPER Suicide Prevention

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

You should also consult with a lawyer who may be able to help with the sentencing so you can sort through the issues and see if you can get either discharged without conviction or at worst a work licence. When you go to court you can ask for the duty lawyer to help, but you would be better asking a lawyer to see you first. It is possible to get sentences which wont affect you too badly, but you should get a lawyer to help with this. I can suggest lawyers if you dont have one. Just let me know and I will give you some names

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ChrisI will be seeking help re the depression and will see the GP this week.I guess this incident has made me realise how low I have gotIf you could provide the names of some lawyers in Chch who are experienced in these matters taht would be greatly appreciated as I need to get onto that first thing in the morning as my court date is tomorrow week
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will post some names, just wait a few minutes

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

You can look at the website and call them. Another well known lawyer is


Elizabeth Bulger Barrister

Postal Address:

PO Box 8408
New Zealand


03(###) ###-####/p>


03(###) ###-####/p>