How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22894
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a 2nd hand car from a car dealer and its had serious

Customer Question

I purchased a 2nd hand car from a car dealer and its had serious issues ever since.being thst it was as is where is I figured that it had zero warrenty.( Im an australian who has just arived ).I took it to a mechanics in Drury and he said that had either a blown head gasket or a cracked head.but without pulling it apart he couldnt honestly today I rang the dealer and he pretty much said that its my fault.I know I have done nothing wrong.I even had AA come and check it when it over heated and the man said it was fine to drive.where do I stand in a country that appears to protect the seller and not the buyer
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
If you bought this car from a licensed motor vehicle dealer then you have specific protection under the Consumer Guarantees Act which says that a car you buy must be of appropriate standard, although of course if you bought on an as is where is basis, that does place some burden of proof on you. Even on that basis you have protections under the act and you should tell the dealer that he must contribute to repairs. You can also state to AA that you think their inspection was not up to standard and that they are also covered by the same act. If they refuse to discuss this then you can claim to the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal which can be found here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that info.its a start.I was abit confused..lets just hope the car dealer has a concience
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
That remains to be seen. But reminding him of the act may help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We can only hope.thanks mate
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Glad to help

Related New Zealand Law Questions