Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

There, My question is in regards ***** ***** I design

Customer Question

Hi there,
My question is in regards ***** *****
I design and sell clothing and linen.
Recently a pillow has been released to market (bambillo pillow) and because of its particular measurements it is near impossible to get a pillow case to fit it. I am now making them and wonder because of what it is how I will protect the size and style of pillow case being copied or if its even possible.
Thanks for your time
Regards
Michelle
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
There is no registration process for copyright, what most do is to include something with the product which says that you assert copyright with regard to the design under the Copyright Act. You could also register a trademark for your design, although that may be a little costly. The level of protection may depend on the money you expect to make from the product. At the highest level if this is a unique solution, you could apply for a patent. But I suspect that this may not be possible and would certainly be quite expensive.