New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

There, My question is in regards ***** ***** I design

Customer Question
Hi there, My question is in...
Hi there,
My question is in regards ***** *****
I design and sell clothing and linen.
Recently a pillow has been released to market (bambillo pillow) and because of its particular measurements it is near impossible to get a pillow case to fit it. I am now making them and wonder because of what it is how I will protect the size and style of pillow case being copied or if its even possible.
Thanks for your time
Regards
Michelle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
7/16/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
There is no registration process for copyright, what most do is to include something with the product which says that you assert copyright with regard to the design under the Copyright Act. You could also register a trademark for your design, although that may be a little costly. The level of protection may depend on the money you expect to make from the product. At the highest level if this is a unique solution, you could apply for a patent. But I suspect that this may not be possible and would certainly be quite expensive.
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer