Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My contract has been terminated from the 29 of june and ends

Customer Question

my contract has been terminated from the 29 of june and ends on the 29 of august self employed for new zealand couriers. my run has been going for 7 months ive been on acc since my motorbike accident and now i have no job to go back to once im 100 percent ok.
are they able to terminate my contract and end my job just like that what actions should i take?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
If you are self employed you don't have the same rights as an employee. So they can cancel your contract if you cannot perform. It's a tough situation for you but that is why they use contractors, as it is much easier to fire them.