How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23075
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to change my Legal Aid Lawyer as I am unhappy with

Customer Question

Hi, I need to change my Legal Aid Lawyer as I am unhappy with the fact he persuaded me, almost forced me to put a Guilty Plea in and now I am facing a sentence to which I will not be happy with, etc... My sentencing is on the 9th July. Can you help please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You need to ask Legal Services to change the lawyer and you need to do so as sosn as you can. It is not easy to change lawyers however, and they dont always let you change, especially so close to sentencing. You will also need to consider whether you want to change your plea back to a not guilty plea if you are unhappy with this. I hope that your present lawyer got written instructions from you for the guilty plea. Is this a matter where you have a presentence report prepared? What does the probation officer recommend? Are you in a position to brief your own private lawyer?