Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need to change my Legal Aid Lawyer as I am unhappy with

Customer Question

Hi, I need to change my Legal Aid Lawyer as I am unhappy with the fact he persuaded me, almost forced me to put a Guilty Plea in and now I am facing a sentence to which I will not be happy with, etc... My sentencing is on the 9th July. Can you help please?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You need to ask Legal Services to change the lawyer and you need to do so as sosn as you can. It is not easy to change lawyers however, and they dont always let you change, especially so close to sentencing. You will also need to consider whether you want to change your plea back to a not guilty plea if you are unhappy with this. I hope that your present lawyer got written instructions from you for the guilty plea. Is this a matter where you have a presentence report prepared? What does the probation officer recommend? Are you in a position to brief your own private lawyer?