How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14928
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is

Customer Question

Hi Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is a clause in the contract about misrepresenting the property and they are saying because of the council issues that have now been settled and council acknowledge that the property is a home and
granny flat. There lawyer is still threatening to withhold money. when they pay the bulk of the money at settlement and if they withhold some, can i withhold the keys until they pay the remainder.?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You can refuse to settle unless they settle in full. If the issue is resolved then they cannot now deduct the money. Your lawyer will help you negotiate through the process however. But if you settle you will have to give them the keys. So your choice is to settle or not settle.