New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is…

Customer Question
Hi Chris I understand that...
Hi Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is a clause in the contract about misrepresenting the property and they are saying because of the council issues that have now been settled and council acknowledge that the property is a home and
granny flat. There lawyer is still threatening to withhold money. when they pay the bulk of the money at settlement and if they withhold some, can i withhold the keys until they pay the remainder.?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
7/2/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
You can refuse to settle unless they settle in full. If the issue is resolved then they cannot now deduct the money. Your lawyer will help you negotiate through the process however. But if you settle you will have to give them the keys. So your choice is to settle or not settle.