New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I have a NZ student loan from 12 years ago. I have not made…

Customer Question
Hi I have a NZ...
Hi I have a NZ student loan from 12 years ago. I have not made any repayments. It is now at $120,000. I have lived in Australia for the past 12 years.
I am mentally ill and earn no more than $50,000 a year. I own no assets aside from a $10,000 car that has depreciated in value since I purchased it 5 years ago. I have spoken with IRD and they have agreed to provide me with a two year grace period due to my circumstances. However, the interest will continue to accrue during this time.
I am considering a NZ bankruptcy. How will this affect me in Australia given that I have no assets and minimal savings? The wages I earn are below the threshold for garnishment. Mainly I am concerned with issues surrounding not being able to hold credit cards or a bank account. I require credit cards and a bank account in order to earn my meagre living online.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/28/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
The bankruptcy will not affect you in Australia. It only applies to you in New Zealand and to assets here. You can carry on in Australia with your bank card and credit card and these will not be affected. It is the best option therefore as this will wipe the debt.
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer