How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22981
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pay child support to my ex children and I have 2

Customer Question

Hi I pay child support to my ex for 2 children and I have 2 step children age 19 and 16 how can I get my step daughter (16) who I support completely recognised as my dependant for child support calculations.
Her father is not in there life and only pays $76 per month for his daughter as he is on a sickness benefit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
A step child can be recognise as a dependent under the Child Support Act when..."(h)the person has been declared to be a step-parent of the child by a Family Court under section 99; or
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
So you should tell IRD that she is dependent, and if they don't believe you, you can get a declaration from the Family Court.