How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work New Zealand government agency and have been seriously

Customer Question

I work for a New Zealand government agency and have been seriously bullied by my manager for a period of 2 years. I have made a complaint to senior management, who did a "sham" investigation that did not follow proper process and discredited me. I recently did a protected disclosure to the CEO about it and he has 5 working days left to do something. They have already admitted breaching the privacy act in respect of health and employment matters. My question is this-What is the best way to get compensation here is New Zealand. I am confused by the roles of of the Human Rights Commission, the Privacy Commission and the Ombudsman. The mediation process of the Employment Relations authority was ineffective and served only to give the regional manager an opportunity to personally attack me. Liz H
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
The Privacy Commissioner through the Human Rights Review Tribunal can award damages before the Tribunal. If there is an occupational safety issue, this can be through the Employment Relations Authority, which can award damages for breach of an employment contract, or sometimes through a prosecution by a Labour Inspector before a District Court for breach of the Health and Safety in Employment Act, and on a successful prosecution, a penalty can be imposed and paid to you.

Related New Zealand Law Questions