New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

The co-ordinator of our organisation did not write her own…

Customer Question
The co-ordinator of our organisation...
The co-ordinator of our organisation did not write her own CV. It was thought from the reading of the CV that her English was very good, she did not say that she hadn't written it but let people assume that she had. She has subsequently been fond to have poor English. She is a migrant and English is her second language. Her time with our organisation started at the beginning of 2014 and the consequences of her poor English has been far reaching.
Is not writing you own CV and handing the CV to a future employer, claiming that you have written it, illegal?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/20/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
It is not wrong to have someone write your CV, but it is wrong to say that you did, when this was not true. If her Emglish was not good enough, then you should deal with this by a disciplinary process. Since she has been with your organisation for a reasonable period of time this could be an issue, and fair process would require that you offer her an opportunity to improve, within a period of time. If her English does not improve then you could manage her out. The CV is another matter. If you have just discovered that she wrongly claimed to have written her CV, and this was critical in her getting the job, then you would need to have a formal meeting to discuss this. She would need the opportunity to have a support person present. You should tell her that the recently discovered information is of concern, and ask for an explanation. If you consider that this does not explain what happened, this could be a matter where you could dismiss her.