How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22965
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does Defamation of Character mean??

Customer Question

What does Defamation of Character mean??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to explain why I am asking:A family member had investigated me on Fraud. She had sent documents to "Police Commission Serious Fraud Division. The results of that investigation, I believe, Not warranted, insufficient evidence. In the mean time I have stressed for the last 2 months awaiting an outcome. I was not allowed to contact anyone OR other siblings were not permitted to contact me as of the instructions of the family member who has made these accusations. I was just wondering if Defamation of Character would be the correct procedure???? If I pursue this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my email is:***@******.***
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
This is protected by law when you make a complaint to the police, but can be defamatory if reported outside that to others like work colleagues or members of your family. It is necessary to prove malice in the statements and that they were made with intent to hurt you. The statements must be untrue and without any foundation. They need to show that you are a person of low character or dishonest or some similar attack
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris,Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would need to sit in front of a Lawyer to understand legal wording??? But thank you.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Actually if what was said was wrong and hurtful and damaging that would be defamation. If this was just said to the police then you can't sue. But to anyone outside of the complaint that is defamation