New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am trying to divorce my husband we married in India, he came…

Customer Question
I am trying to divorce...
I am trying to divorce my husband we married in India, he came to NZ then went to America. I think he just used me to get to NZ. He now has a green card and co-owns a house in America with a woman, who according to their facebook pages don't have any relationship but she has his last name on house ownership. I am sure that they have married so that he could get his green card. I have contacted the Atlanta police twice with no reply. To divorce him surely I need to prove I am his legal wife. Should I contact a lawyer here or in America to divorce him?
Thanks
Caroline
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/17/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
You can get the marriage dissolved in New Zealand provided you have been separated from him for two years or more. You can use the evidence of marriage in India, and if you have an Indian marriage certificate the family Court in New Zealand has the power to dissolve the marriage. It is likely to be much easier to do this in New Zealand although you will need to arrange to serve the application for dissolution on him. If you are unsure of where he lives, but have Facebook or email contacts, you can probably get a court order to serve by Facebook or email.