How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22822
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a NZ citizen. If I marry a lady from Ukraine what are

Customer Question

I am a NZ citizen. If I marry a lady from Ukraine what are the requirements for her to reside with me in N.Z.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
The principal requirement to obtain a partnership visa for a new spouse, is that you must have been together for twelve months to demonstrate that it is a long-term relationship. This can be difficult because the maximum duration for a tourist Visa is generally nine months before further renewals can be obtained. Often there is a combination of you living with her in the Ukraine, and her visiting on a tourist Visa, and then making an application for the partnership visa. But the Immigration Department do require the twelve months of living together as a basic start to your application. There are the usual other issues of getting a health clearance and criminal clearance. In some cases it may be possible for her to obtain a work permit but only if she is on one of the lists of priority employment categories. I can give you details of those if you need that.

Related New Zealand Law Questions