How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14769
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you owe debt in the UK but move to New Zealand and

Customer Question

If you owe debt in the UK but move to New Zealand and can't afford to pay off the debt such as a credit card, can the debt be recovered in New Zealand? Is there a reciprocal agreement between the UK and NZ regarding debt recovery? Can you be taken to court in New Zealand. I have been told they cannot do anything other than apply CCJ but if you don't return to the UK within 6yrs it is removed from you credit file.
Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
The credit card company can get a judgment in New Zealand which must be enforced within 6 years. This cannot be enforced in the UK except by a complicated and expensive process of filing a claim In the UK courts based on the New Zealand judgment. That is only
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
ever done for large claims, because of the cost and complications. There are no treaties to make this easier.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
the same applies in reverse for a credit card debt from the UK. They have to sue there and it would be equally difficult to enforce that in New Zealand.

Related New Zealand Law Questions