New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

If you owe debt in the UK but move to New Zealand and

Customer Question
Hi, If you owe debt in...
If you owe debt in the UK but move to New Zealand and can't afford to pay off the debt such as a credit card, can the debt be recovered in New Zealand? Is there a reciprocal agreement between the UK and NZ regarding debt recovery? Can you be taken to court in New Zealand. I have been told they cannot do anything other than apply CCJ but if you don't return to the UK within 6yrs it is removed from you credit file.
Many thanks
Simon
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
5/27/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
The credit card company can get a judgment in New Zealand which must be enforced within 6 years. This cannot be enforced in the UK except by a complicated and expensive process of filing a claim In the UK courts based on the New Zealand judgment. That is only
ever done for large claims, because of the cost and complications. There are no treaties to make this easier.
the same applies in reverse for a credit card debt from the UK. They have to sue there and it would be equally difficult to enforce that in New Zealand.