How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in the Philippians and now want a divorce

Customer Question

i got married in the Philippians and now want a divorce
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
If you reside in New Zealand, you can apply to the New Zealand family Court for the marriage to be dissolved. This will be binding in New Zealand and in the Philippines. You will need to serve a copy of the application on the other party, but it is very difficult to defend an application, which is based only on one ground, which is that you must have been separated for two years or more. There are no other grounds for having the marriage dissolved
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks , so when i go to the Philippines i serve her with a copy , but i cant serve her this until after 2 years separation is that rightshe has also had a child to me can i bring this child back to New Zealand.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You have to wait for the two years separation before you can apply. However you are not allowed to personally serve her with the papers, as it has to be done by someone independent. I'm sure you could find someone over there who could do that for you, and would be able to swear an affidavit of service. Bringing the child over would be a difficult exercise. You could only do this with the consent of the mother and you would need to arrange a visa for the child if it is not a New Zealand citizen. The child does not become a citizen because you are a New Zealand citizen, unless it was born in New Zealand while you were together and registered in New Zealand.

Related New Zealand Law Questions