Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am the chairperson of a voluntary organisation. are

Customer Question

Hi. I am the chairperson of a voluntary organisation.
are there any policies a not for profit must have to ensure legal compliance with NZ laws?
cheers
Sally
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Any organisation must comply with relevant laws, but it is hard to know what you need without knowing the nature of the organisation. For example if you are an incorporated society then you must comply with the Incorporate Societies Act. You should also not make a profit, as if you do, then you need to pay tax. Perhaps a more specific query would help me be more precise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - we are making sure that we have all the policies in place we need.
I am thinking about the need to have policies to meet laws such as the the health and safety act, employment Act etc. Are there any stipulations about the need to have operational policies or by-laws in place? we are an incorporated society
cheers
There is no law which says you should have such policies in place, but it can be good governance, if you employ a lot of people. If you are small with only a handful of employees it may be too elaborate.There would be some cost in writing the policies unless you have draft documents from a similar organisation.