New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am on a sickness benefit. Last august, at a winz interview,

Customer Question
a staff member told me...
I am on a sickness benefit. Last august, at a winz interview, a staff member told me she would see if I could get a temporary top up, which has to be applied for every three months. I filled out the forms, declaring bonus bonds etc, and gave her a Kiwi bank atm receipt to photocopy. (I have an ANZ account for my benefit). She told me I would receive $17 dollars extra a week, which in due coursed appeared in my account. Since then, every three months I have filled out the forms for this temporary top up, declaring bonus bonds etc. Just over a week ago I filled in these same forms and dropped them of at winz. Two days later I received another form from them wanting the details of each bank account. I filled this out and returned it. (I had just over $1400 in the Kiwi saver and $43 in the ANZ account). After returning the form requested I heard no more, so went into winz yesterday to check what I would be recieving each week. I was told my benefit and accommodation benefit had been suspended due to the bonus bonds, which I had been quite open in declaring. I felt rather confused as there had been no problems before, and had received no notification via the mail as to the suspension. A meeting has been set up for next Thursday so someone can explain everything to me. I guess my question to you is, what is the legality of all this
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
5/21/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
How much are the bonus bonds? you have acted correctly in declaring these, and it appears someone has changed their mind about this.
You can seek review of decisions with WINZ and there are several levels to do so. The first is an internal review of the decision, and you should ask for this, complaining about the inconsistencies in decision making. Then if you don't get any further, you can seek an appeal of the decision to the Social Security Appeal Authority.