How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14695
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We pay child support of $789.60 per month through IRD.

Customer Question

We pay child support of $789.60 per month through IRD. For two children (18 and 15 years old)who do not live with my wife and myself. The children's mother continues to ask for more money! the last request is for $300.00 of extra money on top of the $789.60 we pay 20th of each month, for a school hockey tournament. She is saying the $789.60 of child support is to financially support the kids day to day living expenses and the hockey tournament fits outside of those???? Isn't the child support meant to be for the needs/supporting of the children including school hockey. We are getting frustrated with this as this has been ongoing for the past 14 years! and now wanting to know our legal position when it comes to this? The oldest child is now 18 years and finished school at the end of the year, if he goes to polytec (which we will pay for) and still lives with his mother do we still have to pay child support for him until he turns 19 years old or until he gets a job?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You have no obligation to pay anything more than the child support. That is your full legal limit of liability. Any payments beyond that are entirely optional on your part. The child support continues until the child turns 19 or is financially independent. If he gets a student allowance, then he is financially independent. But if he doesn't apply for the living allowance, then the child-support will continue until 19

Related New Zealand Law Questions