New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

We pay child support of $789.60 per month through IRD.

Customer Question
Hi, We pay child support of...
We pay child support of $789.60 per month through IRD. For two children (18 and 15 years old)who do not live with my wife and myself. The children's mother continues to ask for more money! the last request is for $300.00 of extra money on top of the $789.60 we pay 20th of each month, for a school hockey tournament. She is saying the $789.60 of child support is to financially support the kids day to day living expenses and the hockey tournament fits outside of those???? Isn't the child support meant to be for the needs/supporting of the children including school hockey. We are getting frustrated with this as this has been ongoing for the past 14 years! and now wanting to know our legal position when it comes to this? The oldest child is now 18 years and finished school at the end of the year, if he goes to polytec (which we will pay for) and still lives with his mother do we still have to pay child support for him until he turns 19 years old or until he gets a job?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
5/14/2015
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
You have no obligation to pay anything more than the child support. That is your full legal limit of liability. Any payments beyond that are entirely optional on your part. The child support continues until the child turns 19 or is financially independent. If he gets a student allowance, then he is financially independent. But if he doesn't apply for the living allowance, then the child-support will continue until 19
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer