How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14768
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work government I am an emergency manager including

Customer Question

I work for local government I am an emergency manager including principal rural fire officer' civil defence, maritime oil spill and during an emergency controller. I have an assistant that has been under minding my position in the community and within my response team and fire crew. This aw bought to my attention by my deputy fire officer. This person has also beenabusive and acted without authority, as well as when ask to attend a fire fallout refused because it was a Sunday. This person also did not make the self available during an resent declared state of emergency. Doesn't turn up to meetings when suppose to and has been to the main office for over a month. I had asked the GM to handle the situation as it was clearly an employment issue which he said he would. In there contract it also states that as there direct manager there hours of work as assistant is as I require up to 27hr per week. Today the GM said to let her no via email that she was to halt emergency management work until the GM returned from leave which is from tomorrow until the 8 June. Long story short the corporate manage was rang by this person whome she ent to see. Then spoke with the GM on there behalf he in turn calls me in to say the for now thy we'll work with the corporate manager until he gets back then he will get the three of us in for meeting but that I will have to reconcile working with her. When I ask why he said that he had been told I was equally to blame, I ask him how when I hadn't done anything he just said that it an employment issue and we could just get rid of them so I would have to reconcile working with her I said that I could work with someone that is abusive and under minding in my role I need to be able to rely and trust my assistant as I am responsible for the lives and safety of the community. Tomorrow he goes on leave and the corporate manager becomes the acting GM. I feel as if I have been unfairly treated and have been put in a position where this person is how going to be working out of the same office and this is going to be left like this until GM comes back in a month. I need some advice what can I do? What rights do I have to protect me?
Appreciate your assistance
Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
The best way forward would be to get employment mediation under way as soon as possible. If you have to work with this person, you need the chance to have a frank, but safe discussion with them, and your manager, to work out a better working relationship. This would mean discussing the things you have been concerned about, the undermining of authority and the failure to attend when needed. This can happen quickly. I suggest you contact
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
your manager and get this started as soon as possible without waiting for his boss to return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's the problem it's the GM that's going on leave tomorrow he doesn't want to deal with it until he gets back in a months time, it's the acting GM (corporate manager) that's interfered. I don't feel that it reasonable I have to wait a month to get this sorted. The situation is going to be very stressful I need to no what I can do now to protect myself and where I can get help from

Related New Zealand Law Questions