Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Me and an ex partner had access to each others facebook accounts.

Customer Question

Me and an ex partner had access to each others facebook accounts. We broke up about 3 months ago. I wanted to see what she was up to and looged into her face book account. I found the followning sick story. She and an old married family friend was exchanging naked pics about themselves to each other. The sickness of it is he had sex with her mum years ago and her younger sister was borned. She knows it. He is married and she and his wife are good friends. When we broke up she and her son lived with them for 5 weeks untill I moved out of the house. They, she and the wife go to movies together and she and her son go to dinner every monday at there house. I want to tell and show the wife because morrally I feel its my duty. She must know. What is the worst case scenario for me if I do it? Thanks!!
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
It is unlawful to look at someone elses Facebook without their consent. While you were together, you knew that each other had access to the Facebook accounts, and therefore consented. Once you have split up, then you should not look at her Facebook account, under any circumstances. There is a section in the Crimes Act which says as follows:-216BProhibition on use of interception devices(1)Subject to subsections (2) to (5), every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years who intentionally intercepts any private communication by means of an interception device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the moral part of my message. I did not use a device!!
This communication was clearly private communication, You are not able to use this information as that could be a crime carrying jail as a possibility
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So they can just go on with it ?
Using a device is your computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there is no case of morality here ?
That is another matter of course, but i can only answer legal questions