How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 11 yr old son and I are living in Australia, we are NZ citizens.

This answer was rated:

My 11 yr old son and I are living in Australia, we are NZ citizens. My son's father lives in NZ and is a director of 4 companies and yet only pays just over $100 in child support. His assessment shows him earning only $30,000 per year although he is very well off.
Is there any thing I can do through the system to get better financial support from my childs father. He does not wish to pay any child support.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : Unfortunately the advice you have is correct. If the father adjusts his business so he only earns a low income, then it is hard to increase the child support with going though a review process and getting evidence he is concealing income.
Chris The Lawyer : To get a review you need to apply through Inland Revenue. They have a useful site at
Chris The Lawyer : this will give you the forms and procedure you need. If you want me to explain things you don't understand on the site, please feel free to ask
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you