How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a child I damaged some property in a neighbours house that

This answer was rated:

As a child I damaged some property in a neighbours house that was getting built. I did not admit to it at the time and learnt some years later that the owners of the house have had legal battles with the builders over this and along with some other issues regarding problems with the house. I would like to talk to the owners to admit my part and maybe offer to pay something towards it but am concerned they may then try to recover the damage costs from my family (since I was a child at the time) and/or their legal costs for all the time they have been pursuing the builders. Is this a possibility?

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : if this occurred more than 6 years ago you may be safe because of the limitation periods. But I would suggest that their problems are unlikely to be your fault, except to a minor extent, and you should be wary of admitting something that may drag you into issues which are definitely not your fault. I understand why it is sometimes good to get these things off your chest and admit wrongdoing. But the potential for harm to you and your family exists, because they may say that the limitation period should not apply because your part in the damage was unknown until you confessed.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions