How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my husband for 4 years. We were

This answer was rated:

I have been separated from my husband for 4 years. We were married in Vanuatu. I am struggling to get information on how to get a divorce. I have been told by one department here that I have to apply for divorce in the country which we were married in and then told by another department that as we are both NZ citizens we can just apply through the courts here. Very confusing. Complicated by that fact that if I have to get divorced in Vanuatu, I have been struggling to find out how to get the divorce papers.

Please help me uncomplicate this mess.

Thanks. Lynn

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : You can definitely apply in New Zealand if you live here. All you need is the marriage certificate, or a certified copy.
Chris The Lawyer : Then you can apply to the closest Family Court. If you are still on reasonable terms with your ex husband, then you can make a joint application which is is easier than a sole application, and faster.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you