How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, a 30minute meeting to discuss custody of their children

This answer was rated:

Hi, a 30minute meeting to discuss custody of their children is planned for my partner's brother, his ex partner, her lawyer and the lawyer for the children. My partner's brother wants me to represent him, as does the lawyer for the children. However, his ex and her lawyer are objecting to me being present. Of course I'm not a lawyer, but does that mean he can't have me representing him? - Tks

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : That seems a bit silly, if this is just a meeting. You would not be able to represent him in court except as a support person, but for a meeting to discuss issues, that is not necessary.
Chris The Lawyer : Perhaps the lawyer objecting should think about the new Family Court procedure which will exclude lawyers for the initial stages including the mediation.
Chris The Lawyer : With that as the future model, the attitude would not be supported by many
Chris The Lawyer : So in legal terms, at an informal meeting you can represent him

Many thanks Chris

Chris The Lawyer :

Good luck!

Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions