How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22976
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to dissolve a civil partnership entered into in the

This answer was rated:

I wish to dissolve a civil partnership entered into in the uk eight years ago. I understand that I cant do this in the uk courts while both parties live in nz. Who should I apply to, this should be an uncontested case.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : the procedure for dissolving a civil union is the same as for a marriage. You have an option of a joint application, or a sole application. Once you have been separated for two years then you can apply to any family court, which is located at the district court office. There is an application and an affidavit and you need the original certificate or a certified copy. Once the application has been filed, for a joint application it takes a few weeks. In both sorts of application you do not need to go to court if this is not contested

does separate mean different address as we have been using different parts of the same house for over two years

Chris The Lawyer : That can work but you would need to spell out the separation in some detail. You would need to have separated out your lives in financial.a and social matters as well. But this has been done like this before
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you